Golden Circle & Snorkeling at Silfra | Free Photos & Small Group
The Silfra Fissure is located in Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Once our minibus arrives there, you will listen as your experienced certified PADI Dive Master provides a safety briefing. Then, you will receive all of the necessary equipment for snorkeling in Silfra, including neoprene hoods and gloves, a thermal undersuit, a drysuit, and of course mask, snorkel and fins. This equipment will keep you floating throughout your time in the fissure, as well as offering a protection against the cold glacier water. Once in the water, your eyes will meet the incredible shades of blue so prevalent in the fissure, as well as the natural underwater flora of canyon walls.
As you are swimming you will have the opportunity to move across continents, as you will be swimming between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, which is one of Thingvellir’s most famous characteristics. You will meet Silfra Hall, which is the widest section on the fissure and then the majestic Silfra Cathedral, its deepest section. Even more, the stunning shallow oasis will be presented before your eyes at the end, “the Real Blue Lagoon”.
Upon exiting the water, you’ll be invited to warm up with hot chocolate with your friendly guide. After the tour is over you will receive the free GoPro underwater photos in your email.
During the activity, you will be swimming between two tectonic plates. Your guide will eventually send you all the GoPro photos after the tour.
To be able to do this tour, you have to be able to comply the following requirements:
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form – click here.
We recommend you bring the Form already printed out and signed, but you cal also can sign the Form at the meeting location.
- Be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
- You must be a maximum of 69 years of age to participate in this tour. If you are over 60 years of age, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the Medical Statement.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour
- If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
- Wi-Fi and Icelandic music on board
- English Speaking Guide,
- Small group (max 6 people per guide on the water)
- Certified Snorkeling Guide
- Free GoPro Underwater Photos
- All Necessary Snorkeling Equipment
- Warm Undersuit and Drysuit
- Hot drinks and cookies after the tour!
What do I need to bring
- Warm clothes (first layer)
- Waterproof clothing (second layer)
- Hiking boots (available for rent when booking)
- Joy and happiness!
- We have to adjust timings to the short daylight and we always try to avoid big crowds.
- Pick up is from designated locations in Reykjavík. Pick up from Keflavík airport or outside of the greater capital area is not available.
- You will see the designated pick up locations in Reykjavík on a drop-down menu at the time of booking.
- You can bring your favorite snacks and beverages if you like.
- We recommend you bring hiking boots with slip-resistant soles if you are visiting in the winter. Hiking boots are available at the time of booking.