Akureyri Classic Whale Watching Trip
During our annual Reykjavík Grapevine Best Of Iceland awards, our panellists were unanimous about the best tour in North Iceland: whale watching. On this tour, come spot humpback whales, blue whales, minke whales, dolphins, harbour porpoises and more cetacean life during a cruise on the Arctic Ocean. Seabirds, including puffins, Arctic terns and eider ducks, may also be seen.
This ship is the only high speed, specially modified, whale watching ship in Iceland. Capable of carrying 200 people, the boat will treat you with spectacular views from gorgeous viewing platforms. Its high speed guarantees that you'll be able to go wherever the whales might be located . With ample indoor and outdoor seating, a bar and a cafeteria, you'll be kept in luxury the whole time.
Meet at the floating pier, Oddeyrarbót 2, next to the cultural centre HOF in Akureyri at least 15 min. prior to departure.
*This tour is operated by our sister company Akureyri Whale Watching*
- Use of warm overalls
- Excellent guidance on board
- Wireless internet on board
- Return for free in Reykjavík or Akureyri if no whale or dolphins are seen
What do I need to bring
Dress warmly for our northern fjord, so if you have it, bring warm outdoor clothing like a wool or fleece sweater, some warm headgear and gloves. Flat bottom shoes are recommended.
- They only high speed whale watching ship in Iceland. Comfortable and specially designed for the area with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, toilets and bar/cafeteria.
- Specially designed, “cinema style” viewing platform on the front of the ship, ideal to view the larger-than-life Eyjafjord humpbacks.
- See the picturesque and calm Eyjafjord, surrounded by towering mountains, little fishing villages and lush countryside.
- Departs several times a day through out summer, from Akureyri Harbour, plenty of car parking and with in easy walk of any accommodation in town.